Saturday, May 07, 2005

Truth! Truth! And nothing but the truth!

If I was home today for Mother's day I would make Crèpes with sweet cream cheese filling and fresh raspberry sauce for brunch. Then we could go for a hike, go to dinner, then come home and drink margaritas while playing Scrabble. And just because it's mother's day, Mama, I would let you win. Ok, maybe not. it's not like it would be hard to beat me, I haven't been around native English speakers for five months (People in Washington DC don't count).

It's been a grand weekend. I can list the things I've done on ten fingers.

1) Sleep
2) Read Orlando by Virginia Wolff
3) Watch The Simple Life 2 on DVD
4) Laundry
5) Drink wine that was a gift (oddly, in France, they chose to give us a California sauvignon, dumb Americans)
6) Sleep
7) Do Push ups (inspired by the fact that every time Gio sees me he bites my arms, which means that my biceps look more fluffy than foreboding, which needs to change)
8) sleep
9) Eat a chicken from market
10) shower

Nothing I do in the next 18 hours will be outside of this list, unless the building burns down, which I don't think it would.

On the other hand, I owe a great debt of thanks to those who did a whole lot more than I did Yesterday and the day before. Tim had the GARGANTUAN task of recruiting people to move my stuff out of Merrick House. I think this makes him an official candidate for knighthood or sainthood or to be a member of the Harlem Globe Trotters or something because it's probably the nicest thing anyone's ever done for me.

Thanks too, to Zack, Scott, Jared, JT, and Barkley, who all rock my face off. I would have been lost without my CD collection and my bike when I get home... God, there really is no one on earth cooler than the TKEs except maybe George Harrison but he never helped me out personally with anything and he's dead.

Anyway, it's nice to finally have a computer (ONE!) in the dorm- except that we can never get these three hussies who make conference calls to Africa all night OFF OF IT. Oh, and it's nice to know that even if there's no phone in the building, when there's an emergency we can email the police.

This is a silly, silly place. Oddly though, since school is out for a week before finals start... Lille feels a lot more livable and little less like some sort of really bad game show where you just can't win.

Happy Mom's day.

1 comment:

  1. Anonymous9:11 PM

    You are the best. I love you beyond words and you always say just the right thing. I couldn't have asked for a more wonderful girl! I would eat crepes and drink margueritas and go for a hike with you. We'll have to plan a double birthday/mother's day you-and-me party when you get home. And just because I like Tim and Jed, I suppose they can join us too.
    Love,
    Me

    ReplyDelete