Wednesday, May 18, 2005

Ok folks, this is the end of the line

Just because I can, I think I'm going to go ahead and let the pictures do the talking for this weekend. There has never in the history of time been a more irreverent trip to Paris. This is not to say that we didn't see things and fully appreciate them On the contrary, I think we have soaked in more of the good life than can possibly be imagined. The following picture reflects only a small part of the good times that were had.
Image hosted by Photobucket.com
This is Kakie's new image. I, personally, think it's hot. I believe this should be the new face of the "we're in Paris" group on facebook.
We managed to see, in five short days, nearly everything that I had ever dreamed of seeing in Paris (except Tim). We made it to the Louvre twice, the Musée d'Orsay, the Pompidou, Versaille, the Arc de Triomph, the Champs Elysee, the Musée Rodin, Notre Dame, Le Madeline, the cemetary Père Lachaise and many, many others. It was grand to just sit on the banks of the Seinne, under Notre Dame (two blocks from the hostel) and talk to people who walked by. There were a number of times that I suspected Kakie might flash the bateaux mouches (tour boats) as they went by, but she resisted.
Image hosted by Photobucket.com
Kakie and me in the Gardens of Versaille.
It's big and gaudy and well, frankly kind of ugly. The famous "hall of mirrors" was built only as a piece of propaganda, asserting the kings wealth. I love rich people. They're awesome. The gardens on the other hand, are quite lovely and amazing even though the flowers haven't been planted yet and the fountains are not yet on.

Image hosted by Photobucket.com
Shannon feeds pidgeons like the "tuppens a bag" lady in Mary Poppins.
My favorite thing about Shannon is that, well, he's awesome in every concievable way. This is why there's nothing like taking a trip with near-perfect strangers. They cease to be strangers in away you hadn't before imagined. The whole time I've been here I've been trying to think of a symbol that represents everything about Europe and all I can think of is the pidgeon. Nothing, I think, represents travel in general like pidgeons. Pidgeons are universal. If people liked to eat them, the world would be a different place.

Image hosted by Photobucket.com
For those of you who have yet to live in a hostel, I can guarantee that you'll sleep better if you can push the beds together and spoon.
Technically we didn't sleep this way. It was Erin, Kakie, Myself and Megan. Kakie talks in here sleep. Megan hits me. Erin mutters and I snore. Though it could be much worse. You know you're loved when people are willing to split beds with you. The hostel we stayed in is directly behind the Cluny museum, besides the thermal bath that is the oldest structure in Paris, dating from even before the Jesus.


Image hosted by Photobucket.com
This is us, the A-Team. Mr. T is behind the camera.
Paris is a completely interesting city in every moment. This sculpture garden has I'm not sure what significance, but we did a good job of standing/sitting on pillars. It was quite nice. There really is no part of Paris bordering the river that is not interesting. I say that if we ever communicate with Aliens we tell them Paris is the capital.

Image hosted by Photobucket.com

Image hosted by Photobucket.com
In case you're wondering, that sign says that the Pompidou has the largest collection of modern art in the world. Which is a lie unless they mention also that their collection is not there right now and that if you pay the fee and go in you won't see Matisse, Polluck or anything else but you will see a video of a woman gargling milk and some other crap that really, I'm sorry, is not art. The only cool thing was an entire soundproof room which you had to duck to get into, and it it was a piano and a feather. I wanted to hear the piano SO bad. I think (though I can't be sure) that that was the point.
In general, I have no quarrel with modern art. I have to say though that will the fine art in the Louvre moved me, and the sculptures in Pomidou confused/bothered me, the impressionist art in the Musée d'Orsay brought me to my knees. The impressionist artists seem to have more of a grasp on life than any other movement. There's just something so intrensically beautiful about the way they break away from realism like a dancer who leaves not only the other dancers but the music behind for his own steps. I. Love. It.


Image hosted by Photobucket.com
These are my Paris buddies in the height of their cuteness. unfortunately no one told me that I should not have worn the tourist-suit that day, thereby ruining the pictures.
Essentially, because I was too busy doing things to write down all the things I ws doing, this will have to suffice for the story of Paris. Though I will say that I haven't laughed that hard all semester. There is absolutely no substitute for a Centenary person, or if possible, a large group of them.
And don't let the fondue tear you apart.
For the rest of the pics, click here.

3 comments:

  1. Anonymous12:08 PM

    That's a lot of people in one bed.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous12:18 PM

    Nice uuummmmmm, ski mask? No wonder you get stopped at aeropuertos.
    Love, me

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anonymous2:33 PM

    I said it in my journal already, but I'll put it in yours too. Caramel pudding in a can. This is my simple request. If you screw it up, I'll make you take the Mr. Jenkins.

    ReplyDelete