Friday, May 06, 2005

Je Te Mangerai

So if I'm a scottish Scott from Scottland, where did the word "Scotch" come from?

Does "ch" equal "ish," and if so does that mean that britches are actually Britishes?

This is what I thought about last night while I laid awake until 5 am.

Things around here haven't gotten much better since I still haven't gotten word from Will about whether or not I can hang with the choir if I take care of my own accomidations...

Also, I've gotten another midterm back with a less-than agreeable grade and I'm really wondering what the point of me coming here was. The teacher oh-so-sweetly graded not on content, but on grammar. Had I known this I would have spent more time writing and less time reading the books we were tested on.

Meanwhile, Santiago and I took a walk yesterday to the cemetary in the south part of town. The French have some unfamiliar practices as far as remembering their dead. The pictures can explain it better than I can. It was interesting to take a walk to a new part of town (we found the Arabic district), except that we got lost and were therefor late. So it wasn't long before the caretaker asked us to leave the cemetary so he could shut the gates. He was oddly cheerfully for someone who sits around and looks at graves all day: "Quoi? Vous voulez dormir ici?" ("What? You want to sleep here tonight?")

Other than that I'm really just trying to hang on. This school has been such a let down and it seems to only get worse. There's no such thing as pulling your self up by the bootstraps here; you basically just have to accept whatever bad news they want to give you and there's no way to work with anyone. I'm totally unaccustomed to that and I sometimes feel like I should have followed my initial instincts and come home in the first week.

This all probably sounds remarkably less comedic than usual, but I figure you read this to know how my life is going and I should be completely honest, even if it doesn't sound nice.

Essentially, I don't know if I've ever really regretted anything in my life but I regret coming here. On the bright side, I'll leave with a few hundred pictures of things I've never seen before, but considering my personality and Tim's, I'm relatively sure I would have seen the best things eventually. And if not, I wouldn't have known what I was missing.

To everyone in Shreveport, I wish with all my heart that I was there. I think about you guys all day long. Be so glad you spent your semester together, because we only had eight (well, some of us have nine or ten) and a couple of us wasted one.

Rest assured, I'd be there if I didn't have to take care of the commitment that I made when I enrolled myself to come to this horrid school.

I'm not mad at France for all the crappy things that have happened this semester, some of them would have happened no matter where I was. But it all would have been a lot easier to take if I was with people who made me laugh.

I blame G. W.

Phrase du jour: En France, nous n'avons pas des reforms; nous avons des revolutions. (In france, we don't have reforms, we have revolutions.)

1 comment:

  1. Anonymous10:55 AM

    The word "britches" actually comes from the word "breeches". No idea about the etymology of that one. But it looks like a Scotch-ish word doesn't it? It is another one of those funny englitch-ish words that has several applications, such as "pants" and the breech or breechplate on a gun. Or a whale breeching. does that mean the whale is wearing pants? Just think if they had decided to call him Spongebob Squarebritches...
    Hang in there Sunshine,
    Love, Mum

    ReplyDelete