Friday, May 27, 2005

Je vous salut...

Lille on a summer day, no class, no worries, just wandering about in a short skirt looking at all of the wonderful things I could put in my mouth, which include (but are not limited to) puffy desserts, fresh flowers, beautiful dresses and Gulliver's Travels (which I didn't buy but strongly considered).

The unanimous conscensous seems to be that we all should have come for the first semester as to reap the benefits of the sun and then think warmly upon them in the winter of our discontent. Let that be a lesson to you whippersnappers.

Basically, the best thing about being in another country is being in it. It's been so cold and gloomy that my bed held more appeal for me that the entirety of France and all it had to offer (even the cheese, if you can believe it), but the freeing element of sunlight and lack of responsibility has allowed me to finally have a conversation or two in relative comfort with the people I live with.

"You, me, good conversation" Ethan Hawke says in that movie where he has ugly hair (backup, that's nearly all of them), in Reality Bites. Somehow I can't get over how redeemed everything is by a sprinkling of sunlight.

Here is my Potato Soup recipe for Laura:

To a pot add:
3-4 Cups Chopped Potatoes
2-3 Finely chopped Carrots
lots o' salt, black pepper and herbs as you like them
water to cover it all

Boil

In a frying pan brown:
1 Yellow Onion
1/2 Red Onion
2 cloves Garlic
Lots o' Mushrooms
A chunk of Butter
(if you're into that kind of thing you can add a little wine at this point, it makes the mushrooms fancy-like)

Add this to the boiling water along with:
3 Cubes Chicken Bullion
1/2 cup Cream
1 Cup Sour Cream
Milk and Water 'til your happy

Boil until the potatoes are the desired consistancy. Eat with a big, fresh, baguette. Eat some more.

No comments:

Post a Comment