Tuesday, March 15, 2005

Spiderman, Spiderman, Does Whatever a Spider Can

The wierdest thing about being back in France (after my brief sojourn in reality) is that it's not wierd to be back in France. Charles De Gaulle is now just another airport (I'm collecting them) and the difficulty of that first time navagating the TGV with Carrie seems overrated.

What doesn't seem overrated is how much I enjoyed being home, home, home...

In one short week I managed to fill all of the gaping holes I've had since moving to F-f-f-france.

There's my best friend, traversing the galaxie, fiancé in arm, to visit me for three short days and buy me lunch at the beloved Northfork. The visit was complete with Adam throwing pebbles into my bellybutton which is an indicator that there is no more compatable man on EARTH for my Trina. This solves the problem of not feeling the love in France, per se.

There's my quilt, begun nine years ago and begging to be finished. Every little stitch bringing me closer to feeling somewhat artistically able again. It didn't hurt my nostalgic tendancies that the quilt is made from my great grandmother's quilt blocks, either.

There's 24 of my closest family members descending on a mexican restaurant like a pack of crazed locusts. The dinner wherein I realized that I am related to them beyond a shadow of a doubt when my aunt said to her wonderfully misbehaving daughter: "Honey, don't devolve." And I noticed my cousin Davey singing the spiderman song to himself... and my grandma eating some sort of deep-fried tilipia which looked (it was literally looking at us with its beady, deep-fried eyes) terrifying but tasted wonderful.

The sun was brilliant enough that Mom and I were able to play Scrabble outside, ignoring the fact that the windward sides of our arms and legs were nearly frost-bitten. This is the best-feeling sunburn I've ever had. Despite my mother's adament protestations that I'll become a wrinkled crone for it, I hereby refuse to acknowledge the month of March and henceforth declair the world in a state of perpetual June.

And "QUITE" is worth 68 points on a good day.

No comments:

Post a Comment