Monday, March 21, 2005

For those about to rock: WE SALUTE YOU

ROXIE'S RECIPE FOR FRESH MUSSELS CALAISIENNE

2 Litres Fresh Mussels from Calais
(Steam mussels and retain two cups of the remaining broth for sauce)
Shell mussels and place in hot frying pan with mussel broth and following ingredients.
4 Tbsp Butter
2 Tbsp Tomato Paste
2 Tbsp sliced olives
1 tsp chopped garlic
dash salt
dash pepper
dash basil
Simmer and reduce by half. Add one cup Crème Fraich (or whole creme), simmer and reduce again.

Pour sauce over steaming pasta and top with grated edam cheese (or parmesiagn). Enjoy with company and the knowledge that you just created a new recipe using stuff you found in other people's fridges.


As you can see, Saturday's trip to Calais was a joy. Michelle and I visited the Musée de la Guerre, saw the Bourgeoise de Calais (a famous sculpture by Rodin), couldn't see Dover because it was too cloudy to see across the Channel, bought fresh Mussels from a stand, visited a museum about the production of lace and ate more fries that one person should ever eat. Overall it was a good day. I've never lived by the ocean but I'm constantly surprised by how much I miss the smell of it.

Yesterday Olivia Hamilton and Katie McNeil arrived from Denmark (via Brussles). It's been like a mini Centenary-fest in our room. ie: It's been awesome. We spent all day walking around the city in the sunshine, eating chocolate covered waffles and gossiping, as all true Centenarians do.

Yesterday we went to the market and bought a rotissery chicken, fresh bread, blood-oranges and kiwis. Also, I've tried another kind of cheese but did the unthinkable and (gasp) forgot what it's called. I'm a horrible patron of the cheese arts.

Also, come to find out that one of my "mid"-term tests is cancelled and that the only grade for that class is a final. Hmmmmmm... I should be celebraiting the death of a midterm but we'll see how I feel about that when final time rolls around and I'm dependant on ONE test for my grade.

Today I miss Robert Savage, Ashlie Daigle, David and Lisa. Let's go camping.

Phrase du jour: Je voudrais faire du camping. (I want to go camping)

No comments:

Post a Comment