Thursday, October 05, 2006

Maira Kalman Rocks my Grammatical World


I got really excited today because Maira Kalman, this crazy, non-sequiter artist and designer from New York (aren't they all?) has an art blog on NY Times Select. I had really hoped to link to it from here because it's all existential and artsy. She embroiders quotations from Faust on pieces of linen table cloth a makes it look cool instead of agoraphobic, which is how I would picture someone who embroiders quotations from Faust on anything.

Kalman released this illustrated version of Stunk and White's Elements of Style. This is my favorite illustration, the title of which is "Well, Susan, this is a fine mess you are in." Which is maybe, maybe, a stroke of genius.

I suppose I'll settle with linking to her website (you can click on "Susan" to the get there, if you're thusly inclined). Enjoy, Susan.

I have no idea why I think Kalman is so cool. It's mostly when she combines her weird illustrations with words that things really get exciting. My favorite thing on the website is one page from her children's book, What Pete Ate, which says, "The Twinkle Twins have a dog named Twinkie. Twinkie may look insane, but she does not eat their things."

Again, no idea why I find the whole thing hilarious, but I'm sad that her blog isn't public domain. Though if you have Time Select, I think you should kill some time looking at it.

5 comments:

  1. Anonymous1:01 PM

    I like the bulldog in "What Pete Ate" that is "No bargain, because he barks all the time." See you tonight at the Beatles.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous1:02 PM

    And now I've clicked on the website name I made up for myself, and it's apparently somebody's myspace and that somebody is not actually me. Damn.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anonymous12:50 PM

    "Delightful!"
    -Kacie L.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Anonymous3:44 PM

    Say, wher'd you get that book?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Susan's link doesn't seem to work....

    ReplyDelete