Sunday, December 18, 2005

Labor Omnia Vincit

So, the other day in the midst of absentmindedly searching the internet for something to *ahem* do with my life after I graduate, I remembered why I came to college in the first place. When I graduated from highschool I had noooooooooooooo idea what I wanted to do. At graduation I told the Principal to say "Roxie is going travel the world before attending culinary school," which as we all know is a lie, but it kept him from saying "Roxie is entering THE WORLD OF WORK" which they always say like they're announcing to the whole school that you have terminal cancer.

Anyway, I spent hours in high school reading the websites for Americorps and the Peace Corps (I also spent hours in chat rooms about japanese cartoons, but that's beside the point). Anyway the other day I remembered that the half the reason I went to college is that you can get a better job in the Peace Corps if you have a degree. The other half of the reason is that I looooove being around smart people. Seriously, nerds make me so happy.

I'm nervous now though because I've realized that if I want to do what *I* want to do in the Peace Corps, which would be digging holes, playing in the dirt, talking to plants and talking to people about plants, if I want to do that I have to have a) a degree in something botany or ag management or b) about three years experience in the park service.

Here's the problem: I'm graduating with a genius degree in English and French which means that they're going to place me in some former french colony teaching little kids to count in English, which would still be cool but it isn't ideal. (That is if the peace corps would take me.)

Can I go to grad school for dirt studies if I gruduated in Moby Dick studies? Someday I want my PhD in English, and I want to write, but you have to know about cool things if you want to write about cool things. Right, Jack London? Right? (Write?)

Oh yeah. And just when I was in the middle of a nearly six-month mix tape slump I got a whole package of mix tapes from my friend Alexis in San Fransisco. Talk about having crazy awesome friends: Alexis is one of those relaxed, ecclectic, wise, intellectual people who just totally grabs the attention of everyone around him. And he sent me about four hours worth of music, most of which he made himself. I have no idea what to send to him in return. All I have are paint-by-numbers.

I read a book about eggs today at the library where Tim used to work. Snails eat their own eggshells after they hatch. Turtles hatch by breaking out of their shells like sumo wrestlers. Baby owls look like aliens. Libraries are amazing.

4 comments:

  1. Ya know, I think you are one of those relaxed, ecclectic, wise, intellectual people who just totally grabs the attention of everyone around her. Just an observation.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous1:11 PM

    Flckity Flack! Well it sounds like your break is going well. I think the Peace Corps would definitely take you. Maybe you could just combine all your knowledge and teach kids in former French colonies how to plant things, and then teach them how to count the plants they planted, and then teach them how to talk to their plants in English. In other news I sang "when i think about you i touch myself" at a kareoke bar the other night. rock.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anonymous3:14 PM

    In case you think Sarah is lying about singing, she totally isn't. It was funny and fun and bizarre-o all at once.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Anonymous12:57 PM

    and if you think kristin didn't sing, you are way wrong. because she totally did. i think we should come out with a CD.

    ReplyDelete