Wednesday, January 02, 2013

Making a list, checking it a hundred times...

Ugh, Ayn Rand.
I made it to my goal of fifty books just under the wire this year. Hurrah! (Those two 19-hour car rides to Texas and back really helped.)

Inspired by Leela Fish, I've done a little searching and established two lists of novels I feel I should read in my lifetime. One is "classics" and the other is more contemporary. Both have some very weird things on them. Also, both are dominated by cranky old white men. I did my best to shuffle it up a little, but one can only spend so many hours making spreadsheets with book titles.

I have no idea how people establish these lists. First of all, its ludicrous to claim that you can list the 100 best novels of all time or the 100 novels everyone should read. Maybe I should be reading more fluffy things and you should be reading more science fiction? Have these all-knowing list-makers read them ALL? What criteria defines "best"? Anyway, making these lists made me half giddy and half cranky.

Take a look and let me know what you think. If anyone would like to do a book club-style reading of any of these books with me, I'm totally game.

4 comments:

  1. Oh to answer your question, I think I just googled and read lots of "best 100" lists until I found one that encompassed most of the books that were on other lists I saw... along with some I was genuinely interested in reading. Your must-read list looks interesting too. I'm happy to read along with you, especially if it helps me knock some off my list!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can give you feedback on some of the books on your list. But I don't know if that's obnoxious or not, since you're already planning on reading them. Also, it might be obnoxious to put it here, so I would email you. Also, this list makes me want to buy more books.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm also glad that you're both on shelfari, because I love all your picks. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Anonymous2:30 AM

    The first thing I saw was that lunatic Ayn Rand. Gross.

    Your list is on the top of the 100 best lists list. List list, oh list.

    ReplyDelete