Friday, December 21, 2012

The Finish Line


So far, I've managed to read 47 books towards my 50-book goal for the year. The following list explains why I didn't quite make it.

Here are the top ten books I started in 2012, but failed to finish. This is a new bad habit I picked up this year (refer to "stress-induced illiteracy" re: the wedding). Some of them are still in running to be read, as they are clearly awesome. Some of them are going in the provebial dustbin, as they are not awesome remotely. If you have any compelling reasons why I should finish any of them please fill me in.

1. Anna Karenina
By Leo Tolstoy

Seriously though, I will finish this one. I'm on page 507 and I started it LAST New Years.
2. Cod: A Biography of the Fish that Changed the World
By Mark Kurlansky

I really tried.
3. As I Lay Dying
By William Faulkner

Wrong time.

4. The Girl Who Kicked the Hornet's Nest
By Stieg Larsson

Put this one down to re-read Harry Potter.
5. Interview With The Vampire
By Anne Rice

I may have seen the movie too many times.
6. The Dovekeepers
By Alice Hoffman

This probably isn't as badly written as I feel like it is.
7. The Age of Miracles
By Karen Thompson Walker

Best book premise ever. So boring.
8. The Magicians
By Lev Grossman

Don't start with me on this one. I know.
9. Fooling Houdini: Magicians, Mentalists, Math Geeks and the Hidden Powers of the Mind
By Alex Stone

I don't care about this dude's problems. Just, no.
10. Dead Man Walking
By Sister Helen Prejean
Read the first 100 pages. Cried for two days.

5 comments:

  1. Anonymous12:08 PM

    Perhaps add the total of the pages read in these books and see if that would be the equivalent to three books...

    BTW, I was expecting to read an actual interview with an actual vampire but instead it's all this "Oh please bite me!" and "Oh, you bit them now it's my turnity turn turn, blah blah blah." Plus- I heard Anne Rice's real name is Howard. What's up with that!? Weirdo.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congrats! I think I only made it about halfway this year. Boo, but there is always next year.

    I feel you on Interview with a Vampire. I like my vampires with more action and less angsty remorse.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I just started _Anna Karenina_ myself, and at the pace I'm going I'll still be staring into my Kindle this time next year.

    --Jess D.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Anonymous7:24 PM

    it took me forever to read Anna Karenina, but it was worth it. I actually put it down for years before I picked it up again. But when you get close to the end, you have to be in a position where you don't get interrupted.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I keep putting off Anna Karenina, but I hear it's worth it. Would love to hear your input on The Magicians. I remember liking it when I initially read it a couple of years ago. I read The Dovekeepers, but struggled to get through it. If it's any consolation, the ending almost makes it worth it.

    I just checked Shelfari. I managed 52 this year with the potential to finish one more. I stopped reading about 4-5 books though.

    ReplyDelete