Saturday, May 15, 2010

Done!

Today I turned in the last assignment of my first year in graduate school! Let them rejoice!

Right in the midst of what turned out to the one of the worst finals-writing experiences of my life (why? I have no idea.) a wee Cypriot arrived from across the sea, to interrupt my misery with cookie-baking and gourmet meals.

First let me say that Elsa's visit was not only much too short, but cosmically badly timed. So here is a good road map for how to have fun if a friend is visiting and you have to fit a week worth of hanging out into seven hours:

1. Bake Cookies. Honestly this is the best way to spend your time under any circumstances, but it's perfect for catching up with friends. It's active, sugar is involved, the room is full of delicious smells, everyone is rewarded for their hard work, and if your visiting friend happens to be weird (no, I'm not talking about you, Elsa) the necessity of following the steps in a recipe prevents awkward silences. My cookie of choice for this occasion? Sugar Cookie Bars--there are literally six cups of sugar and a cup and a half of butter in this recipe. If that doesn't please you, you're beyond my help.

2. Play Beatles Rock Band. Nothing brings people together like the Beatles. It's probably also true that nothing tears people apart like my singing, but that's why I turn the volume way up. This is why I miss Elsa so much: because she's the kind person that knows we have to leave in 30 minutes but says "OMGOMG, can we pleeeeeease play Beatles Rock Band?" Yes. Yes, we can.

3. Eat the most amazing dinner of your life. Now, this one may seem hard to do every time a friend comes to visit, but being with the right people can make a meal amazing. The last time I went to Colorado, my mom and I split a steak and a salad with lemon vinaigrette that was, without a doubt, the most amazing meal of my life. I cooked that steak and no steak will ever taste as good as that one. However, this most-amazing-meal-of-my-life came from MiniBar. I never would have been able to eat there without the combined efforts of Jana and Elsa, who are like the rockstars of fabulous dining (Ask one of them what a cookiecakepie tastes like. Do it!). This meal was 29 courses of unforgettable.

The first picture (of these two, which I stole from Elsa) is "Guacamole," the inside was like... tomato popcicle, wrapped in thinly sliced avocado, surrounded by tomato, spanish olive oil, lime, and small pieces of tortilla chip. It made my brain turn inward on itself.

The second was what I called the "Willy Wonka Dessert" but what is really a Kumquat filled with some sort of amazing concoction and surrounded by pumpkin seeds and... other amazing concoctions.

There were 29 courses of this. I ate the only oyster of my life that, rather than merely tolerating, I enjoyed. And I was so fat and happy and almost blissfully confused at the end... and that was before they handed me a piece of bacon with sea salt fused to an amazing strip of dark chocolate. If Tim was a food, that is what he would be. And that, my friends, is why I stay with him through thick and thin.

4. Come for the drinks, stay for the conversation. When you think it's almost over, there is always time for one last drink and a little more conversation (unless you're Elvis, and then there's only room for a little less conversation and a little more action). After dinner, we went to Coco Sala, where both Jana and Elsa drank amazing Malted Martinis and I... I drank tea, because, alas, we all must return to reality (finals) at some point.

It may be cliché to say that life is short, but perhaps it is more appetizing to take it in small, delicious courses.

4 comments:

  1. Anonymous4:17 PM

    You must have sat right next to Abe Frohman, I'm sure you did...

    Congrats on your first year! And happy sailing, to Panama! Love you! Dadwa.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm so happy we managed to squeeze a whole lot of awesomely normal fun activities into a few short hours! I think the funniest part of the Minibar dinner was seeing the chef's reaction when you said that the crazy "Philly cheesesteak" looked like a twinkie!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I can't believe you got to go to Minibar. I'm so jealous of you right now.

    ReplyDelete
  4. We'll go when you come visit... but um, I need to open a separate savings account first.

    ReplyDelete