Saturday, May 08, 2010

Cucumber Salad (for Kacie)

Mostly I'm procrastinating when I should, really, really, really be writing. But Kacie also asked me for this, so here it is. I use this recipe to make salad out of EVERYTHING. Especially in the summer. It's very cold and refreshing.

Cucumber Salad:
(Lazy Version)
  • 1 Cucumber, washed and peeled in stripes (the peel is the only nutritious part anyway, and it's crunchy, so I leave I like the stripes.), sliced.
  • 1/4 cup white vinegar
  • 2 Tbsp olive oil
  • Salt and pepper to taste
  • Dill if you like it

Mix all of this in a bowl and let it stand in the fridge for at least fifteen minutes, but no longer than 24 hours because it gets super strong in a bad way.

For the non-lazy version add:

  • About 4-5 white mushrooms, cut in quarters.
  • 1 tomato, cut into bite-size wedges.
If you're a satanist, I suppose you could add red onion. But why spoil a good thing?

This Oil/Vinegar/salt/pepper (sans dill) mixture is also good on red bell peppers, canned peas (drained), fresh cabbage (minced, I prefer green cabbage, but whatever), and believe it or not, pork and beans. I would never, ever eat pork and beans under any other circumstances, but they're pretty amazing with vinegar and oil on them. Who knows?

There is also a version of this that calls for a small amount of water and sugar to be added to the cucumbers. The sugar cuts the bite of the vinegar. If I make it this way, I slice the cucumbers very thin and don't add any other vegetables, except possibly thinly sliced carrots.

Summer is wonderful.

No comments:

Post a Comment