Friday, December 05, 2008

list o' holiday hankerin's

I'm sitting in DFW waiting for Tim's flight to land and feeling this odd mixture of hypnotized by watching the baggage belt go around and around (you're getting very sleeeeeepy) and feeling very much like JESUS CAN'T I BE IN SHREVEPORT ALREADY?

So I'm going to distract myself by putting together a Christmas list.

I'm not doing a very good job at Christmas this year because I'm traveling all over the place and all I really care about is getting into graduate school. Normally, all of November and most of December is spent hording presents for people, sending out cards, and getting reading to make one short, weird awesome and inevitably sad trip home. (Sad because I have to leave when New Years comes.)

This year--no cards, no time for shopping. I don't really want anything. I have no idea what anyone wants or when I'm going to have time to give it to them and to be frank, I couldn't give a CRAP about presents, which is very unlike me because normally I LOVE to give presents to everyone I know (and I don't mind getting them, I'll admit). I'm just really, really glad I get to see everyone for so long and that's kind of all I care about in the immediate present. Not presents. Presence. Get it?

Now, that being said, this is a blog and it should have some damn content. So this is what I would want for Christmas if I cared.

1. Don't bother getting me this because I already got it: Onyx Scrabble. OMG this is the coolest Scrabble edition EVER. It's like the BMW of Scrabble. Thank you Dad and Kirsten!










2. Wind chimes. Yup. I don't have any where to hang them that wind would ever come in contact with them, because I live in an apartment where I'm not allowed to even open the windows. But I can pretend.







3. A wok. Easy enough. Yum.










My Amazon.com Wish List 4. I'm in the process of transferring my VHS tape collection to DVD. So I want any DVD that is on my specially created Amazon list. I had no idea how many VHS tapes I had until I made this list BTW. There are 64 DVDs on this list.

5. A red KitchenAid Mixer. Look at its shiny loveliness. Imagine all the cakes, cookies, pies, ice cream, meat balls, frosting, pudding, cup cakes, pastries, and untold happiness that could come out of this thing...








6. I want a crystal to hang in my window. My mom always has these and they make little rainbows all over the house in the afternoon. I like it.








7. Super Mario Galaxy. Boom Blox. Wii Fit. And Rayman Raving Rabbids TV Party. All for the Wii of course.








8. To own the Boulder Bookstore.













9. A greyhound. These two. In fact. Mojo, and Smokin' Hippo, from the Colorado Grayhound Adoption agency. OH MY GOD look at their beautiful faces. You can click on either one of them to go look at their website.








10. More than anything I just want to get into graduate school. Then move somewhere where I can sit on my porch with my greyhounds and listen to my wind chimes while I smoke my pipe and think about the American literary tradition. Ok, maybe not so much about the pipe. But all the other stuff for sure.

5 comments:

  1. Anonymous10:20 PM

    Okay well, they are adorable, the greyhounds that is, but they are not coming to my house to live. In fact you may find some things in your suitcase on January third that are very similar to greyhounds, only different. I mean they have hair and they're cute, and you can't have them in your apt, but..... they are so small, who would ever know? I thought you had a mixer? If you own the Boulder Bookstore. I'll come work for you and you can pay me in books. Tell Tim Hi.
    I can't wait,
    Love,
    Me

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous1:05 PM

    Don't forget to drop off those cute little cuddly things you packed in your suitcase when you get to the Western slope- I hear they have a limit of 90 per household.
    The greyhounds are beautiful. The bookstore would be interesting, where is it?
    I checked the Scrabble rules and you can't just add an s to "vesper" for 112 points. I thought you wanted the game Scarble... which involves... marbles...

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like that the first thing on your xmas list is something you already own. That's silly.

    (What's the difference between Scrabble Onyx and Scrabble Diamond?)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Scrabble Onyx is like eating at Spago and Diamond Scrabble is like eating a can of Wolfgang Puck's Chicken and Dumplings. Just kidding. One just looks a lot cooler than the other one and doesn't come in that dorking carrying case, but it doesn't matter because there's a 96% chance that I will beat whomever I'm playing against, on either board.

    I said it.

    I think the diamond board has like... a drawer in it. But the Onyx board is all black and sleek and it ROTATES--hence it is the sexier of the two.

    Nerd out.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Agreed: rotating board trumps all other bells and whistles. (Although I'm still holding out for a day that counts up your points for you automatically. I hate doing that.)

    When we live in the commune, chores and privileges will be determined by Scrabble victory records. Believe it.

    ReplyDelete