Monday, January 08, 2007

Burn it down, Charlie Brown

In case you can't tell, I've been avoiding the internet like an ebola enraged monkey. The basic reason for that is that if I have to choose between thinking about responsibility and thinking about twinkly christmas tree lights and candy, it's clearly wiser to choose the latter. Not that my break was in any way uneventful.

Things I did:

-Went to the doctor FOUR times. Heck of a way to spend a vacation, eh? But I feel grand. It was one of those chain-reaction type surgery-gives-you-sore-throat-gives-you-bronchitis-gives-you-ebola-gives-you-crabs kind of things. Just kidding about the ebola and the crabs. Sorry.

-Burned down a house. I'm pretty sure it was illegal, but we burned down my grandpa's old vet clinic. Basically, they pushed it into a ravine, poured gas on it, and lit it on fire. People don't believe the stories I tell about living in the country, but I think it's only because they're jealous that nothing this bizarre happens in their daily lives.

-Had a family crisis. It's still not resolved, but maybe I'll tell you about it in like hundreds of years when we can all look back and laugh.

-Got some great presents and (I hope) gave some too. I always underestimate just how vast and varied is the number of material objects one can find for purchase on this planet. In the category of priceless things, my family gave me the 105 year-old camera that belonged to my great grandparents. I got to spend quality time with my parents for the first time in what feels like years. Emily picked me over going home to Denver on New Years, even though there was nothing to do in the valley. My stepdad made jerky out of an elk he pried out of a fence. I got to see a blizzard. My dog loves me. And Tim called me everyday, so I felt neat-o.

Now I'm home (shreveport home, not real home) and I'm not liking how I feel about this semester. I think I may be unfit to be a grown up, because I really just want to sleep in, watch movies, and try out new recipes all day instead of going to class or work. Maybe that's everyone, I don't know.

But I'm not going to waste my last semester of undergraduate college whining about how much I'd rather be asleep. Tim and I will be going off.... somewhere... in less that six(!) months. I should appreciate it. Though, I have to say, I rue the day when Jason and Kristin move away because they are absolutely my favorite couple of people to hang out with. I was looking forward to the faraway day when my kids and their kids could hit eachother while we drink daiquiris and ignore them.

Yay, holiday breaks!

3 comments:

  1. The snow has not disappeared here, and for that I am thankful/pissed off. I've never been able to see my entire world totally transformed into piles of fluffy white!

    I was sorting through my buttons this morning to find one to wear and I came across that crazy one you gave me with "Rocky and the Gang" on it (you know the policeman, the scary blonde woman, and the plump white dude). When you gave it to me, you said you found it on the ground in CO and had no idea where it was from. THEN I MOVED TO DENVER AND THOSE THREE FUCKERS FROM ROCKY'S AUTOPLEX WON'T GET OFF MY TV. Seriously though, thanks for the button.

    I am sad to not have seen you over the break but my grandma died and my dad got cancer (in the same week, go figure). Not to mention you're way to busy being cool.

    Good luck with your last semester.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Roxannie-bunny,
    I am 43 years old and would still prefer sleeping, trying out new recipes, and watching movies to going to work. Perhaps I am not fit to be an adult either, but it sure makes life "funner" doing what you want, not what society tells you you must do to be an adult. The family crisis has just become even more bizarre...more later.

    Those Rocky's guys.....geez-o-pete. At least they know they are stupid, unlike some other car dealers who advertise. Yay Colorado!
    Love,
    Mom

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey let's star a commune where we sleep in, dabble in paint, watch movies, and I'll let you experiment in the kitchen, cause that just has alsn-natural-disaster written all over it.
    Question for the English one!
    In the sentence "I will eat sushi."
    Is will an adverb, a helping verb, or a 'future tense verb.' Because the Japanese English textbooks call it a 'future tense verb,' and that just sounds fricken weird.

    ReplyDelete