Monday, December 18, 2006

Two teeth, or not two teeth

Well, this in interesting. For the past two months or so I've collected "Wisdom Teeth" stories from everyone I know. I got everything from a friend whose tooth punch through his bone and he thought he ruptured his eardrum, to using a blindfold instead of general anesthesia, to multiple infections and general bad post-operation judgment calls like beer and hockey, or motorcycle rides. Then there are people like Tim who like to brag that their jaws are big enough, or they were born with no wisdom teeth at all.

So maybe it's too early to speak, since I just got mine out this morning and there's certainly a possibility that I'll spend Christmas day battling four dry sockets, but this has just been a generally been a very weird experience.

All night last night I had dreams about getting the surgery and when I woke up, I was convinced that it was over. It's a little like when you get a new job and you dream about it all night and wake up just when you're supposed to get off work in your dream, so you essentially work two shifts...

It wasn't nearly that exhausting though, just disappointing. I've never had general anesthesia before, and I don't care how many times people say "you don't even know you've fallen asleep and then you're done..." I was still freaking out a little inside until I met my doctor... who was AWESOME. He talked to me about finding more little solutions to get rid of my headaches one step at a time, and then the last thing I remember is him saying to the nurse, "that's flowing really well," as he poked me with the IV. My legs got warm, my arms felt number, and I woke up an hour later with a mouth full of dry blood (yum).

So, even though my jaw is really sore and I can't eat anything without bleeding (again, yum), my notion that dentists are the best people on earth has been reaffirmed. I love them. I can't wait to have dental insurance so I can go to the dentist every month. It sounds crazy, I'm sure, clean teeth make me happy and I'm fascinated with anesthesia now. Oh, and I got to ride in wheel chair for the first time. (NB: "getting" to ride in a wheelchair= nothing like "having" to ride in a wheelchair)

Anyway, my face is in pain but it's fine. My Dad's taking excellent care of me (he made me his AMAZING homemade Macaroni and Cheese) and got me two kinds of juice, soynog, ice cream, Fresca and popcicles to make everything all better.

It's awesome to be back in Colorado. I psyched about seeing my family and friends whom I haven't seen in six months or longer. It is weird to be without Tim though, I haven't gone a day without seeing him since last November, when my Grandfather passed away.

Christmas is so weird. Break is awesome. My laws feel like crap, but really, I can't complain.

Oh, except that I also miss Kristin and I expect her to bake me sympathy cookies when I return.

2 comments:

  1. Anonymous1:44 PM

    Cookies? Really? You know i prefer to make cake. But if it's cookies you want, it's cookies you'll have.

    And I'm sure it doesn't surprise you at all, but I also have soynog in my fridge. Oh, and Jason got TimTim drunk last night.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous4:41 PM

    Yum, dried blood..
    I'm glad you're alive, and that your doc opted for the anesthesia over the standard blindfold (jesus..)

    I ate your dip already, no fears.

    ReplyDelete