Friday, May 05, 2006

Fast Times at, you know, Ridgemont High

Everyone and their mom graduates tomorrow and it's one of the weirdest feeling EV-ER. You work towards something for four years; you eat, sleep and breathe a group of friends; and then everyone gets jobs, plans for grad school and moves on.

Meanwhile, I'm up to three campus jobs, possibly (hopefully) four, for the summer. All of them pay different (but equally crappy) wages, but it's work and it's within walking distance. I was depressed because I missed working for my Little 0ld Ladies in the summer, but I've gotten a job working in the Arboretum on campus, which doesn't involve little old ladies but it is a job working with plants and trees and dirt so it will hold me off until I make my triumphant return to the Boulder Old Ladies Who Need Garden Help circuit next year. I guarantee that no one in the Arboretum will give me any bottles of grape soda during my breaks or make me a tuna sandwich and tell me about their lives or their grandkids, but all that will have to wait.

Otherwise, I'm working in the bookstore and for the newspaper which needs, dare I say it, a crap ton of help. Being in our office is like being inside of a key-lime pie. The floor is brown, the walls are green and the ceiling is white. Thanks a lot, she-who-shall-remain-unspoken (not Lisa, Lisa never would have done something so abominable as paint the office that way).

So many horrible things have happened back home in the past two weeks that it's made finals a little hard to deal with. It's hard to care about the French Revolution when old friends are hurting. Although, I suppose all that work was a welcome distraction when I'm stuck here and there's not much I can do. I don't really want to talk about what's happened at home specifically because I don't want to make it any worse for anyone. Suffice is to say that my heart goes out in a million directions for these people and their families, who have suffered immeasurable loss and faced horribly difficult decisions.

Also, dating me is a curse. Just keep that in mind.

I'm going to go spend as much time with Jared Frank as I possibly can.

1 comment:

  1. Love and Congratulations to Tim. I thought you liked key lime pie? Perhaps it's not you that is cursed, but Colorado.... I wish I could send you some asparagus...That would make it all better. I saw baby goozlings the other day and a rabbit jump straight up two feet in the air. AAAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!! I love you. Hang in there and perhaps there will be a little old lady at the arboretum to fulfill all your little-old-lady dreams. Colorado misses you and sends you hugs. Damn life, but without pain we wouldn't know joy. Read "the prophet" by Kahlil Gibran...it's helpful when things suck
    Love,
    Me

    ReplyDelete