Saturday, February 11, 2006

A Ticket to Ride

This will probably come as a shock to you whether or not you know that I have no driver's license (and feel nauseated at the thought of getting one)...

This is the kind of stuff other people get censured for writing about in their blogs, but damn, I'm proud o' myself.

I drove to the gas station, put gas in the car, went to the grocery store, bought a truck full of breakfast cereals (the most humorous foods of all), and drove home. Alone.

It took me two and a half hours to convince myself that I was not only capable of driving the car, but capable of doing so without getting arrested/killing someone and thereby labeling myself permanently as a) completely hopeless and b) Tim's Delinquent Car-Wrecking Girlfriend, hopeless.

After all, I'm not really the "law-breaking type," and I think if I got caught driving Tim's car without a license the most logical reaction I would have been able to come up with would be to start eating my shoe and tell the police officer I stole the keys and was just out for a leisurely suicidal rampage, WAAAAHHHHHHH, just so that Tim didn't somehow get into trouble. Funny how I'd rather have someone think I was suicidal than think I was knowingly breaking the law. (I'm all for civil disobedience, I just happen to think that Driver's Licenses are brilliant and amazing, and that the drinking age should be eighteen and the driving age 35.)

This is not the kind of stress most people associate with driving. However, I think after this bold triumph in exerting my independence I will stick to eating my shoes in the comfort of my own home, or passenger seat, at least until I can get a real driver's permit again.

And before you mock me, remember when you were fifteen and three-quarters and your parents made you pick up a gallon of milk by yourself--and be glad I'm not a driver.


And anyway, praise be to Mazda, that patron saint of cars, I did quite well.

Other than that it rained all day and there is no excuse for this crappy weather. Not even homemade soup with cannifoli redeems the wind and rain together.

5 comments:

  1. Actually, the drinking age should also be 35; if a person is not smart to enough to drive until then, a person certainly isn't smart enough to drink by then..... Knifli. How exactly does one spell that? How did that turn out? Were they edible? Hard as rocks? Gooey? Have you read "Cell" by S. King yet? If you do, now you know why I don't want one....
    Enjoy your leftovers.
    Love, Me

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous3:36 AM

    Mazda? Tim drives a Honda.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anonymous4:39 AM

    A Honda is a Mazda! I should know, I drive a hummer! If Tim wants to drive a Mazda, I say this is a free country. Didn't S King write a book about a Mazda?

    ReplyDelete
  4. So, Kiddo, what kind of car would you like?

    ReplyDelete
  5. I don't think S. King wrote a book about a Mazda, but my cousin had a cat named Mazda...

    ReplyDelete