Tuesday, May 17, 2011

What a day can be like...

This saturday was my first saturday without homework in oh... say... the same approximate amount of time that it takes a human to make a baby. Put that in your pipe and smoke it.

I could be overly dramatic and say that newly-found freedom was a great burden and a huge responsibility, but it really wasn't. Mostly it was really, really amazing to rediscover what 24 hours without the pressing crush of nagging obligation feels like. It. was. Incredible.


First, we slept in and upon waking up, my first thought was not "where's my book? What do I have to read?" but instead, "would it be out of line for me to eat everything in the house?" I made blueberry scones with lemon glaze for breakfast (don't be too impressed, they were frozen--and the glaze is just lemon juice and powdered sugar) and drank a big glass of milk and pondered the novelty of not having to write a poetry review or a film response. Not once! All day!

Then Tim decided he wanted to go for a walk to a nearby yard sale, which turned out to be rescheduled... fine. Fine because instead I discovered a new PO BOY STAND at Eastern Market. I discovered this because I could smell it from a block away. Po boys! The woman fried the shrimp in front of my face! And dowsed the bread in garlic butter before grilling it on an open grill! Lordamercy! Dressed with slaw and spicy mayo (alas, no cheese). Is this what I was missing while I was "educating" myself?

Then Tim and I loaded ourselves down with flowers from the farmers market and carried them home. He read about the Panama Canal while I got up to my elbows in dirt, which is really the only way I want to be. I neeeed a garden and now I feel so much better.

After all the planting and the Po Boy action we took a nap, because no Saturday is complete without one. We woke up, brushed our hair (that may not be true), walked to Tortilla Coast, and had a margarita drinking contest. It wasn't supposed to be a contest, but everything inevitably turns into a contest when Tim and I are near each other, and I won. Although, in all fairness, any time someone puts a pitcher of mango margaritas on your table, you win. Everyone wins.

Then (no! It's not even over! It keeps going!) we went to Chinatown and saw Bridesmaids. We had to sit in the second row, which is normally a misery-inducing torture-fest, but Kristin Wiig is so hilariously insane I might consider actually laying on the screen the next time I see the movie. Maybe.

The we rode the metro home and Tim found a million dollar bill, but it was just a "ticket to heaven" and who needs that when it can't buy you any real Po Boys here on earth? Walking through Lincoln Park it looked like a UFO had touched down in RFK stadium and lit up the whole sky. Lincoln looked very noble and it was easy to pretend that the statue is not as awful as it really is. I'm going to pretend he was, for the day, the great homework emancipator.

1 comment:

  1. Anonymous11:42 PM

    :) I'd say more if I could drink Mango Margaritas without getting a migraine.

    ReplyDelete