Thursday, November 04, 2010

Cucumbers Another Way

I have a migraine today. That usually means spending the day in a cocoon of pillows and darkness, sleeping it off, but I can't sleep. So instead I'm trying to find something that will hold my attention without making me feel like I'm going to explode (so no reading or TV or really anything with color light or sound). Maybe blogging will work?

So here is a recipe for you.

This is a new take on my favorite simple side dish. This would be a great alternative to more traditional heavy side dishes that tend to get served with Mexican food. It's not even really a recipe, just something I got out of a book about migrant farm workers and then modified.
"Alejo thought of his own grandmother working in Edinburg, Texas, ironing, babysitting, cleaning houses, cutting cucumbers with lemon, salt, and powdered chile to sell at swap meets, or making tamarind and hibiscus juices to sell after Sunday mass. She would do anything to allow her grandson to get schooling." -Helena Maria Viramontes, Under the Feet of Jesus
Calling this something like "Zesty Cucumber Salad" seems really bourgious, since this seems like something people just eat. The way a baked potato is just a baked potato--but I don't know what else to call it. Anyway, here's how I prepared it.

Cucumbers Another Way

1 Cucumber
1 Lime (the book says lemon, but I like lime and that's what I had)
salt
Chili powder

Peel cucumber however you like. I prefer to leave "stripes" in the peel for texture and vitamins. Slice as thinly as you like. I make 1/4" slices and then cut the largest slices in half.

Juice the lime. A citrus juicer is the best for this of course, but if you don't have one, here's a trick to handling stiff, stubborn fruit--microwave the lime for ten seconds, then roll it on your counter, pressing gently to loosen all the membranes inside. After you cut it in half, you can use the back of a spoon to help you get all of the juices out.

Pour lime juice over the cucumber in a bowl. Season with salt and chili powder to taste. This is according to your preference so start light and build up.

Let it chill for at least 20 minutes before you eat and you'll be glad.

Unlike a vinegar salad, this can be refrigerated over night and the cukes won't wilt dramatically.

You could probably put this in a glass, muddle with vodka and ice, and make a delicious cocktail. If you didn't have a migraine.

1 comment:

  1. Sonia5:08 AM

    R., I am glad you tried this! It's my favorite way to eat cucumbers, mango(e)s, watermelon, coconut, pineapple--ok, you get the picture.

    ReplyDelete