Wednesday, November 24, 2010

The Brain Drain

I'm getting dumber.

No really. This is a fine art, so it's taking place on multiple levels. And it's distressing considering how much effort I'm putting into this fancy degree I'm earning, but hear me out.

Exhibit A: Last Saturday I had a great day with my friend Alsn, we went out for sushi, we went to Anthropologie, and then we went to see Harry Potter and The Most Depressing Camping Trip Ever, Part I. I realized that Alsn is officially my oldest friend within 500 miles, so that makes her the champion. Still, when we were driving around looking for the theater parking garage, I recommended a restaurant to her that we have eaten at together twice as if she'd never been there, and I told her that I've never been to a theater that we went to together. I can no longer remember where I've gone and what I've done with whom and when. Which really, is pretty embarrassing and like I said she's my oldest friend here. How degrading.

"Oh, you've eaten there you say? Oh, with me you say? Twice? Well, I am an idiot. Obviously the events of my life are not important enough for my brain to store in my memory compartments."

Exhibit B: I keep forgetting simple words. I can't think of any examples, but we'll just put that in the evidence file. Granted, this is probably a symptom of my migraine medication and isn't really my fault, but still, it's unfortunate to have to be reminded that the word you're looking for is "sandwich" or "banana". Tim makes up for this in his own life by saying things like "flibbertydoodle" and "dingledongle" but I'm trying to avoid that whole grammatical mess. Yesterday, he said "when we go to there" in a totally non-ironic way, so I try not to emulate him. Nonetheless, being caught without a simple word is infuriating, English degree or no.

Exhibit C: Ok, I'm actually still getting good grades, and I doing fairly well at Jeopardy, but I'm just fairly certain that I spend way too much time on my couch reading books instead of outside talking to real human beings. So maybe instead of getting dumber, I'm just getting a little weirder? Lately, occasionally, when acquaintances ask me questions, I truly cannot comprehend the literal meaning of those questions. It's as though our conversations have suddenly and rapidly changed context and I somehow did not notice. (This doesn't happen with old friends, for some reason.)

All signs point to a dire need to stop reading so much theory. And to maybe spend some time with some humans.

7 comments:

  1. I so could have written this post! Are you sure you're not pregnant? ;)

    Just kidding. Enjoy your books. Soon enough you'll have a job where you have to interact with people on a daily basis.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hahaha not that I know of. :)

    I remember working in an office and interacting with the same 8 people day in and day out and picking up all their mannerisms. Maybe that's when the problem started? Maybe it's just inevitable!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Caleb5:31 PM

    I feel this way so often.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Umm....gah.....blerg! The past year and a half of my life is a complete blur. I no longer recollect specific timeframes or events and feel like my head will explode whenever I try to remember the how/when/where of anything. Does this happen to people in their mid-20s? Or is it because we dissociate ourselves from our surroundings (for different reasons and in different ways, of course)?

    ReplyDelete
  5. If you want to interact with some quality humans, you should, you know....come to Homecoming this year?? That's my professional recommendation.

    ReplyDelete
  6. If I go to Homecoming I can't go to Mardi Gras! It's the mother of all Catch 22's. (Hyperbole, much?) But on the other hand I think it's safe to admit that Mardi Grad contributes handily to me (and a million other people) getting dumber by the barrelfull, so maybe you have a point.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Anonymous12:41 PM

    Wow... it really was the most depressing camping trip ever. I was just sad that my favorite actor (Bill Nighy) in that movie died after the first ten minutes, Sigh. Is okae, though, 'cause he showed up in an episode of Doctor Who which was about Van Gogh, so it made everything better.
    P.S. If your brain is deteriorating, then there is no hope for me!

    ReplyDelete