Sunday, September 12, 2010

So Delicious

Ok, I'll admit it. There are a couple of benefits to living in DC. First among them are the free museums. Texas has Dairy Queen. Colorado has mountains. Louisiana has... nutria. No, that's not right. Nonetheless, DC has a free museum on seemingly every corner. And on every opposite corner is a cupcake bakery or a frozen yogurt or gelato shop.

Tim and I try really hard not to be those people who live somewhere and never take advantage of all the cool things it has. I imagine there are a lot of people who live in St. Louis who have never been in the arch. Bad example. Anyway. This weekend we went (back) to the Portrait Gallery to see the Norman Rockwell exhibit, which I'd seen but Tim hadn't yet. On the way we made a pit stop at The-Worst-Museum-in-the-Entire-World, aka The Hirshhorn museum of modern and terrible art. I make a serious effort to avoid it at all costs because, among other reasons, it's designed, as Tim puts it "to fill visitors with existential dread." Oh yeah, and modern art is just crap.

But. There was a piece there called "Flooded McDonald's" that I wanted to see. Here's a 40-second preview of the 20 minute film. It also filled me with existential dread, but Tim said it made him hungry.


Flooded McDonald's from Superflex on Vimeo.
On the way back to Gallery Place to go to the Rockwell exhibit and renew our faith in humanity, we found out it was Arts on Foot day! Arts on Foot is a street festival with art, music, dancing, and most importantly... gourmet food at low, low prices.

For example:

This is an enormous veggie paella. Where do you get a paella pan this big?


And this is the best crab and corn chowder in the world. $3. That's right crab and corn chowder. CRAB! Look at those hunks of meat. "Hunk" is really the only appropriate word.

And this is Tim devouring some sort of slider. There were numerous varieties of those. He's lovely, isn't he?
We also had chicken curry puffs, fresh guacamole, and some sort of beautiful six-layer chocolate mousse from Coco Sala that was just incredible. There are all sorts of other booths at Arts on Foot, but honestly, I never notice any of them because I'm too busy stuffing myself. And I love that I never intend to go to Arts on Foot, but somehow I stumble onto it every year. It's like DC is trying to nonchalantly convince me it's cool. Ok, well, for 2 hours, it worked.

In other news:
I've been wearing my engagement ring for a week. No, not this one. This is the original ring, which was actually so big I had to wear it on my middle finger, and it turned my skin green. But I love it just because it's the one we got engaged with, and Tim got it in Panama.

Still, I think I like this one better, for different reasons. I kind of can't figure out why people are so obsessed with engagement rings in general--why they're so symbolic and everyone wants to see them and talk about them. It freaks me out a little, I'll admit it. I've never liked a lot of scrutiny. But I do like meaningful and I do like jewelry and I do like Tim, so it's a win/win/win situation.

1 comment:

  1. I think I like engagement rings so much because, ideally, that is the ring we will wear the rest of our lives. The romantic in me loves that idea.

    ReplyDelete