Monday, January 11, 2010

Rich Dill Potato Soup

This is what I made myself for lunch today after getting locked out of the house for an hour and a half, in my pajamas and slippers, with no phone. I needed something warm, and Tim and I bought ten lbs of potatoes at the grocery store yesterday. The recipe might seem a little complicated and weird, but that's what happens when I make things up. It's really good and comforting though. The recipe below should be two servings.

4 Yukon Gold Potatoes, cubed (about 1 cm cubes)
1 cup Chicken Broth
1 Chicken Bouillon Cube
1 tsp Dill
Kosher Salt
Fresh Ground Pepper
Pinch garlic powder
1 cup to 1.5 cups Heavy Cream (yes, the fatty stuff)
2 Tbsp Butter
2 Tbsp Flour
2 Tbsp Sour Cream

Place potatoes in a pot on medium or medium high heat with just enough water to cover. Add chicken stock and chicken bouillon. Bring to a boil. Cover and let simmer 15 minutes. Watch this and make sure that the liquid does not boil off--if it's boiling too rapidly, turn the heat down!

Turn the heat to medium low. Add dill, garlic powder and salt and pepper to taste. I like ungodly amounts of salt and pepper, but that's my business. Stir in heavy cream (more or less may be required because you may like it less creamy than I do, or you may have used more water to cover your taters).

While that bubbles, in a small pan, melt butter. Stir in flour and stir constantly until creamy and smooth. Stir constantly for one more minute and add sour cream. Stir in about three tablespoons of the broth from your soup, one Tbsp at at time, then add the whole mixture back to the soup. Let the soup come together for about five minutes.

Eat. Nom nom nom.

1 comment:

  1. Anonymous2:44 PM

    I don't know about DC, but out here they only sell Yukon Gold in an oblong shape... I remember one time they had square watermelons for sale, but I'm not sure that would qualify as "cubed."

    Just FYI, Peter Frampton is famous for his use of dill while cooking fine dishes and the word "potato" is used quite often in the study of herbal hypnotism.

    ReplyDelete