Friday, February 13, 2009

This dance card is full.

Tim and I have this incredibly boring habit of doing absolutely nothing of any note for weeks and sometimes months at a time, which is why my blog is sometimes an almost stream-of-consciousness receptacle for apologies, meant to placate you because I'm not in France anymore, with appalling things to complain about on a daily basis. That's not to say that I don't have all sorts of things I could complain about--sorry, "Blog" about--(I am in my 20's after all) but they'd probably be about my job and a) that's in very poor taste and b) no one likes to hear someone go on and on about their job. Even though me bitching about--sorry, Blogging--about France was totally fine. Because everyone likes to bitch about the French. Even the French.

Maybe I could write about the crazy things that happen at work except pretend that it's France. Except somehow I think you'd see through my ruse, and I'd still get fired.

Anyway, all of that introduction was to tell you that somehow, the chain has been broken this month and Tim and I have been overwhelmed with interesting things to do. Normally, people who lead interesting lives do things, and then make witty observations about them later. I, however, am a scumbag whose whole life revolves around my job, my refrigerator, and my sleep quota, so if I try to do the whole "report back" thing, you'll never find out about all the awesome things we've got going on.

All of the excitement actually started two(?) weeks ago when Alsn came over for Scrabble and to "watch" the Super Bowl, which might have been interesting if I wasn't prejudiced against it. I was not, on the hand, prejudiced against the three of us eating enough tiny foods for 8 people. That was pretty much all I had hoped for an more except I'm pretty sure one or both of them beat me at Scrabble AGAIN, but I can't recall because the event has been scrubbed from my memory.

The excitement tried to continue the following weekend when Tim and I went bowling with my friend Vijay. I say tried to continue, because we all suck and bowling and also because we got kicked out of the bowling alley after one game and had no choice but to take our drinking elsewhere, where Vijay and I talked about Clutch Group and Rock and Roll for a couple of hours. Tim was either fascinated or in hell, but he kept buying pitchers, so it can't have been too bad for him.

Some of you might be asking "how is this in any way worth blogging about?" to which I respond: "you have no idea how lame Tim and I are. For real." And also, I hadn't seen either of these people in months, so quit judging me.

Anyway, that brings us to today (Thursday), which is the day that Tim and I went to see Avenue Q. If you're not familiar with it, it's a Broadway play along the lines of Sesame Street or The Electric Company, only for grown ups. And by "grown ups" I mean mildly retarded 20- and 30-somethings. It's pretty fantastic, in a lewd, depressingly true-to-life, but still very funny and happy sort of way.

Tomorrow (Friday), we're going to see Jason Mraz and Ben Folds at GW, in what will be my FIFTH time seeing Jason Mraz live. I actually still don't own his newest CD, if you can believe it. Not to sound all Abramy or anything, but I really just liked him better when he was just beginning his career and his music was just the guitar, Toca on the drums, maybe a guy on a flute... But he's still awesome live because there are some things AutoTune will never ruin. Seriously though, even if you hated Jason Mraz the prospect of seeing Ben Folds ought to be enough to make you happy for the rest of your days.

Saturday is Valentines Day, which we don't plan to do much for. I was trying to be cute and do what Tim wanted so I planned to go on a hike and take a picnic. Meanwhile, he was trying to be cute and do what I wanted, so he planned to take me to Coraline. There's only a 50% chance that either of those things will happen. See above references to our laziness.

Sunday is Tim's 25th birthday. (Bells and whistles!) We're having people over for tiny foods and wii or Apples to Apples, and then maybe to go out. YOU ARE ALL INVITED. In fact, I double dog dare you to be there.

Monday is Presidents Day, which we keep treating like it's part of our "weekend of big events" but really it's just a day off from work. But for the sake of this blog let's say, oh... I'm going to take an astronaut training course, bake an apple pie, call everyone on my speed dial, and hire a stock broker.

Next weekend we're going to see Patton Oswalt, again at GW and I. am. so. excited. It you don't know who Patton Oswalt is, he's the voice of Remy from Ratatouille. However, he is also the genius behind this:



The next weekend we're going to Mardi Gras, which means seeing Carly for the first time since she graduated and seeing Jared's new house and going to New Orleans and the best part? NOT SITTING AT MY DESK THROUGH THE ENTIRETY OF MARDI GRAS. AGAIN. I love Mardi Gras in a way that no words could ever explain. It started with Mrs. Ginsburg's kindergarten class... I could tell even as a five year old that she would rather have been at Mardi Gras and she LOVED us, but she was totally going to teach us as much about Louisiana as she could get away with. Which involved giving us much king cake, and as many beads as possible. So yes, I will be there.

And that pretty much takes care of February.

1 comment:

  1. I fucking love Patton Oswalt. Go friend him on Myspace if you haven't already because he posts awesome blogs and pictures of his awesome french bulldog named Grumpus omgilovehim

    We're lazy too.

    And yay Mardi Gras! I might attempt to bake a king cake this year. We'll see.

    ReplyDelete