Saturday, November 17, 2007

C'est trop tard pour rigoler.

9/22/04

Tori-

This book rescued me. I hope you will read it - ideally aloud with your lover. There's a certain voice offered within the prose that feels, for me, unmistakably familiar as yours. The lyricism and [erased] vision is breathtaking. Please share it with me. I feel you all around me. It's a blessing. I will not be defined by this. I will use time to refine myself. Then I will come home and dance and sing. I will love and celebrate. I honor you.

Always,
Fred.

-The inscription inside my used copy of Michael Cunningham's The Hours.

6 comments:

  1. And that bitch sold it online.

    Then again, he was probably a stalker. Or had baby mamas on the side.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Exactly. Like... who gives away a book with an inscription like that? My theory is that Fred died and the book gave Tori too much heartache to look it.

    Yeah. That or he had baby mamas.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I imagine that being read aloud in a voice like Christopher Walken in the SNL "Lovah" sketch.

    ReplyDelete
  4. hey, you two, I love this inscription... I could see your point if this was a John Gray book or "Dr." Laura!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I think Fred and Tori dated, but then Fred went to jail and sent her this book with the inscription. Tori moved, and sold the book online. We used to get all kinds of mail to ex girlfriends from prisoner's when I lived at quail creek. I read all of them because I am like that

    ReplyDelete
  6. I agree- no way I'd toss this book, no matter how I disliked the content. or I'd at least rip off the cover/page this was written on. Hrm.
    Then again... maybe Fred likes to go around writing things in books at used book stores so that people think the world is full of beautiful things. I could see that as a hobby.

    ReplyDelete