Wednesday, August 09, 2006

fold this newspaper into a hat

When Abraham Lincoln was president, Washington D.C. had only two paved streets and absolutely not one Chipotle. And the Conglomerate will never be anything more than a bulletin and PR sheet for Centenary if we don't get more money and support and the power to hire writers, rather than praying for them.

These things I learned and more.

I won't talk a lot of newspaper semantics at you, but I'll admit that this trip to D.C. mostly made me long for resourses we don't have. Can you imagine a newspaper where the reporters are *gasp* required to find sources? What about one that the administration fears because it demands accountability.

There were people at this conference who attended 2-year schools and generated enough ad revenue to pay my tuition.

Had I know four years ago what I know now, I would have attacked this newspaper with such force. Instead I have 10 more issues, 18 credit hours and the responsibility of finding a grad school to take care of in the next four months.

My 22 year-old cousin just had her second baby. Talk about a pro-active decision-maker.

Anyway, I plan on milking the rest of the summer for all it's worth. I've wasted 80% of this summer working for minimum wage and feeling smothered by my lack of progress in anything that makes me feel great. The next week has got to be mine for the taking or I'll lose my mind before October.

If anyone knows how to conduct an interview and write a lede, give me a call. I'll give you a raise.

1 comment:

  1. What do you mean accountability? We had a new era of accountability ushered in with the first coronation of our illustrious decider. Sources schmorses- Sadam was going to kill us all with his pretzel bombs, and checking sources only means you can't deal with the chosen reality... "How happy is the blameless vestals lot, the world forgetting by the world forgot; eternal sunshine of the spotless mind." (A. Pope)

    Congrats to the cousin and her new baby.

    Well, Kiddo, we missed you at the faire this year- the last weekend was particularly different. Your experiences this summer, however, should help you in the long run.
    It is nice that you still have the paper- and the paper still has you.

    Dadwa.

    ReplyDelete