Wednesday, June 21, 2006

Pardon Me, Do You Have Any Grey Poupon?

I certainly haven't been shopping for any new shoes
-And-
I certainly haven't been spreading myself around.
I still only travel by foot and by foot it's a slow climb,
But I'm good at being uncomfortable, so I can't stop changing all the time.
-F. Apple
----------------------------------


Oh, first summer away from Colorado, how weird thou art. I've been discovering all sorts of things about the nature of my own character since school let out and the summer of a million jobs commenced. Even Dr. Kim said to me today, "Speaking of Advisor stuff–I think you're working to much this summer." And it's true. After four years off the parental payroll, I've learned the one thing that I'm patently obsessed with, and distracted by, is getting paid. It's not that I'm addicted to gambling or robbing old ladies, it's just that I'm terrified of poverty and all of its traits.

Living without heat in the house sucked. Eating ramen everyday sucks. Not being able to spring for a movie ticket sucks. Not being able to afford a plane ticket home, that sucks more than anything. And I have no desire to ever live that way again (let alone now). Meanwhile I'm working myself into a froth and I still can't ever pay off that last bit of debt from Europe and this Computer. (Oh Mac, I love you and the financial ruin into which you threw me.) A lady doesn't talk about her finances, I'm sure, but you've probably already noticed that if you call and ask where I am at any given time I'll say, "At work," or "In bed–I have work tomorrow."

Bo-ring.

With financial aid cut back by $2,500 each semester this year, (no love for the fifth-year student), if you know anyone in the market for a kidney, I've got one (part of a set, lightly used).

Paying rent and electric and the phone bill is nice, and all that, but I've also learned this summer that what I really don't want to lose is my pantry. Being poor and eating nothing but hotdogs (no offence to the noble foodstuff) and canned soup is about the fastest way to make me miserable and cranky. I love looking at all of the random ingredients on that pantry shelf and knowing that, oh yes, one day I will have eaten them all. And it will have been glorious.

I lament that my (girly) roommates (which includes Kristin, even though she doesn't live here and has her own people to cook for) and I only cook together about once every six months, but I suppose they're in the same boat I am, as far as working and being a slave to the paycheck. Digital cable is expensive. But on the bright side, I'm also fortunate enough to live with people who are busy doing interesting, exciting things (like working at Red River Radio, coaching a kids' swim team, and writing a paper about the Iraqi voting system) in their "spare" time rather than scratching themselves and watching Kung Fu 24-7.

Shameless overachievers, the lot of them. (Though if you could scratch yourself and watch Kung Fu for a solid week, that should be considered an achievement as well.)

Please, if you have any exciting plans for Sunday, let me know. It's my only day off this two weeks and for God's sake I want to do something utterly pointless. Give me a call.

1 comment:

  1. Anonymous1:37 AM

    You came to Colorado and you missed me!?!
    I mean, I know I'm a horrible friend but... GAH!
    Then again, I was probably in Europe, so I won't start too much trouble here.
    I miss Ren Fest. I have no one to go with. I feel abandoned. Lemmie whine some more.
    I lost my brower and therefore my bookmarks so this is the first time I've seen your blog in goodness knows how long. Scary.
    I leave for Japan on the 28th of July- I'm on Shikoku, so you should come visit. ... that made sense in my head!

    ReplyDelete