Tuesday, June 20, 2006

Colorful Colorado

Colorado was, and remains, a majestic towering state of glory. And thanks to Tim, my dad, my mom and my grandma, I had a great birthday that lasted for a week and about 2,500 miles.

Tim and I drove all the way and listened to some 12-odd hours of Moby Dick on CD. Talk about an experience... 15 hours in the car, Tim behind the wheel (because I'm a slouch with no driver's license), 500 coke cans and candy wrappers and the greatest story ever told about a whale, told by the most boring person to ever read a book-on-tape. It was alright though, Herman Melville had a sense of humor and Tim was sensitive to my car-ride narcolepsy. I'm lucky if I can stay awake on the drive to the Library so... here's to me never getting behind the wheel.

Anyway, Colorado is tall and green and amazing all the time. We spent two days in Boulder with my Dad and my grandma, who just had hip replacement surgury. She's a trooper. Interestingly, our last day there we went to the "Body Worlds" exibit at the Denver Museum of Nature and Science where we spent two hours looking at dead human bodies that have been plastinated. Among the exibits was a pelvis with a hip replacement in it. The exibit is one of the coolest things I've ever seen in my life. You forget that they're real dead people until you get to the ones that still have skin. And then the combination of not having anything to eat all day, seeing body parts everywhere and standing up for two hours combines into a lovely shade of nausiated.

We didn't see a single dead body the whole time we were at my Mom's in Crawford. We bought day fishing licenses and caught approximately not one single fish. But we did get to watch the Pioneer Days fireworks and grill at the lake. My grandparent's were king and queen of Pioneer Days (which is my town's annual festival of firetrucks. Not really.), which makes me some sort of Duchess, I believe.

I'll publish pictures soon, I mean, it only took me a week and a half to write about it all.

OH MY GOD, I almost forgot. TIM GOT ME A LEMON TREE FOR MY BIRTHDAY.

I feel like we've adopted a charming and fashionable child from Asia or Africa ala Angelina Jolie. The Tree is a Meyer (Improved) Lemon, which is specially suited to living indoors, although it's also happy outdoors. It's a three-year-old, lovingly-raised tree that will bear fruit almost all year round and I AM SO EXCITED. OH MY GOD.

Seriously, I haven't been this excited about something since, like, a week ago when we left for Colorado.

Things have been great. Life feels good. I work all the time, but it's enjoyable. My house is full and summer allows me to be more of a hippy than ever. Come visit and see Tim's penthouse upstairs...

3 comments:

  1. Anonymous12:46 PM

    You should watch The World's Fastest Indian so you will understand it when I ask you why you pee on your lemon tree.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous6:07 PM

    I think that is so incredibly, morbidly, fascinating. Why are we (humans) so freaked out by dead bodies? We should know what we look like and how we function. COOL. DO NOT pee in your lemon tree. It will kill it. Regardless if it makes you the world's fastest Indian Duchess.
    Love,
    Me

    ReplyDelete
  3. No one mentions the irony of the Body World's guy who used to work at the Tupperware factory...

    "That burp means it's fresh."

    Big thanks to Tim for flying Roxie out here at an altitude of three feet.

    Love,
    Me 2

    ReplyDelete