Thursday, November 15, 2012

NaNoWriMo 2.0

So, we have officially reached the half-way point of NaNoWriMo, year two. And at this point in the day I am slightly ahead of schedule with 25,547 words on paper. You may recall that last year I posted bits and pieces of my novel as I went along. Why no previews this year? Well... I like this novel better. I respect it more. I want to take it on a few dates first.

Putting any part of the novel up before it's edited feels, for whatever reason, a little bit like counting your dinosaur eggs before they've hatched.

I want to have a whole herd of living, breathing dinosaurs before I start splashing poorly edited bits of story all over the place.  The truth is, I'm over 25,000(!) words into this project and feel as though I've just begun. I've written approximately seventeen chapters and we haven't even reached anything that's anything yet.

But before anyone starts quoting Tolkien here, it's highly possible that all this is because what I'm writing now is long-winded garbage... but it's my long-winded garbage. I'd rather have my own long-winded garbage than have to envy someone else's. Stick with me over the next few weeks. We'll see where this goes (maybe nowhere, maybe somewhere, probably not into the depths of Mordor).

P.S. I may be spending an unhealthy amount of time alone in the hinterlands of my own imagination.


No comments:

Post a Comment