Friday, August 19, 2011

Over the rails...

Colorado has lots of roads with sheer drop offs into total oblivion on one side.

About three weeks ago I had this very vivid dream that we were driving along at night (I don't remember who the other person in the car was) and we suddenly plunged over the edge. The car plowed right through the guard rail and over the side. I remember the feeling of being suspended in the air, of being completely aware of that liminal moment: the moment between being firmly on the ground and the impact. I felt my stomach drop and I also felt suspended. I grabbed the hand of whoever it was that was in the car, and I woke up panting and incredibly freaked out.

And also not dead.

Is this an elaborate metaphor for being done with school and plunging head-long into the next year with no job, traveling to a foreign country and planning a wedding and answering the question, "what do you do?" with, "read?"

Nooooo.
Well, maybe.

I just got back from my trip to Colorado, where I attended my super-fun and totally non-stereotypical ten-year high school reunion. My primary objective was to see people that I missed and my secondary objective was to prove to Tim that my high school actually WAS fun and I'm really not making that up. Both objectives were accomplished and I'm so proud of those class members who showed up.  Those who didn't missed out. More than anything they missed out on the pleasure of my company and of seeing me and Trina run around in swim suits and make fun of each other.

They also missed the opportunity to ride in Tim's rented Ford Mustang convertible while we blasted 90's music at full volume.  Not that we actually gave anybody rides, but we would have if they'd asked.

I'm really not sure if our generation is at all interested in reunions because Facebook makes us think we're in touch, but it's a lie. Seeing people face-to-face, sitting around a bonfire or even at the crappy local bar, is worth the effort.

I also got to be a timer, with my mom, at the Demolition Derby at the Delta County Fair, and Tim I decided 100% for sure and for true that we're going to have the wedding in the orchard at my grandparents' ranch on June 16, 2012.  Those two things are entirely unrelated, but I wanted to make that sentence as exciting as possible.

In Boulder I got my Ukulele. Ukulele!  It was just as much a graduation present to myself as an excuse to go to the music store with my dad, who is the same way with guitars as he is with old cars: "I had one of these that I sold to Arnold Gibson in 1973, and this is just like one of mine but mine is more white colored, and I had one of these but mine was..." Trying to record him is like trying to record the illusive bigfoot because he'll play 15 second of a song and then walk off to a different instrument and start playing another song and he knows about 100,000 songs by heart. Anyway, I recommend it sometime.

That's all. I just finished a 600-page book and I leave for Uruguay on Wednesday. I have to figure out what books to take. Annnd, if you have an e-reader and you're bored, Harper Perennial is offering 20 e-books for 99 cents apiece, including Celebrity Chekhov, which Kacie sent me and I'm excited to read. (If you can't follow the link or don't have facebook, just search Amazon Kindle or Google Books for Celebrity Chekhov and look at "related titles" to find the rest.)

1 comment:

  1. I thought you were going to leave the uke here so I could have a baby guitar (not to be confused with a baby grand).
    Let me know when you are recording and I'll play a whole song! ;) I have two posted on my facebook page.

    ReplyDelete