Wednesday, February 16, 2011

Thunderdome

I keep talking about my Oral Exam like that's a normal thing we do in America--at least not in the "dental technicians" and "insurance premiums" sort of way.

Before Georgetown, the only other place where I have ever encountered oral examinations as a regular sort of thing was France. And France was a silly place.

Well, as I have mentioned, in the English graduate program at Georgetown, we're required to pass an oral exam in order to graduate. It's sort of like defending your thesis before you write one, essentially proving that you can perform research independently. I took mine on Friday. I got a "high pass," which is above a "pass" and below a "pass with distinction."

Either way, I walked out thinking, "oh, I am TOTALLY done with graduate school for.ev.er."

I came home and immediately played video games for six hours and drank a six pack of Red Stripe (HOORAY BEER!). However, as Tim and my professors so rudely reminded me, I am actually currently enrolled in three classes, which I also have to complete in order to graduate.

Puh. uhShhuh.

So, yes, I don't have to think/read about boxing anymore except when I want to. But I do have to finish the semester alive, which just got harder because Tim somehow talked me into buying an iPhone, which is a life-sucking soul-terrorist because it is the epitome of all shiny objects.

Homework÷Shiny Objects=FAIL

5 comments:

  1. Peh. Nothing is more important than video games and beer. In fact, I think that will sum up my entire spring break. Someone needs to find a way to accrue sick time more quickly at work...

    Also, iPhones/smartphones-in-general are my favorite thing ever. I'm an Android girl, but I love my iPod touch. You should totally not play Zombie Farm, and you should also not buy the Plants v Zombies version for iPod/iPhone. If you ever want to be productive again, that is.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous12:39 PM

    You also have to think about maybe getting a *gasp* job.... someday.
    :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anonymous12:40 PM

    jk :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Job? Nooooooo.

    Plants vs. Zombies? Yesssss.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Anonymous9:11 PM

    You have a point. I'd probably play Plants vs Zombies, or even Zombie Farm. How fun does that sound? Way more fun than work, that's for sure.
    I love you,
    Me

    ReplyDelete