Saturday, January 10, 2009

Now if I could just wear sneakers...

Shocker. I made it through my first week back at work. I would be lying if I said I wasn't dreading it so much that I cried. A lot. But upon getting back there are actually just about as many pros as there are cons (accepting the fact that I just have to be a grown up and come back and pay bills and have a job. Period. Which is never as good as being free.).

Here they are, the pros and cons:

Cons:

1. When I left I had two requests: send me a copy of the holiday card (which I spent ridiculously long hours working on and never got to see a finished version of) and water my plants every once in while. Neither of these took place. In fact my plants were the only plants in the office that looked like someone had intentionally tried to kill them. And I thought it was shitty that no one could take five seconds to be thoughtful and send me that card--seriously. Jana would have done it, but it wasn't her responsibility and I know she was swamped as it is. :/

2. My desk got totally downgraded. Before I left I spent two months trying to figure out how to fit eleven people in to four rooms by "department" and I finally worked it out. I spent my whole last day moving desks around and in fact, had to WORK on the first day of my vacation because of it. When I got back *I* was the only one who got moved. Two people had been sharing my desk while I was gone and the week before I got back they threw all my stuff on a smaller desk in a dark corner with no window, no trash can, my dead plants, all my stuff in heaps, other people's stuff all over the desk... I'm pretty sure that when you get promoted you're supposed to get a bigger desk and a better office. Not the other way around.

3. Also before I left, I orchestrated a major whole-office clean up, because we have too many people in not enough space. When I walked in, the office was filthy. The kitchen sink was full of dirty dishes, and the table covered with a mish-mash of supplies. The coffee maker had coffee and grounds in it from god-knows-when. Unopened and half-opened boxes of supplies lay all over the office, in every room and trash was scattered all over the floor. The problem is, it still is filthy, because I can't clean up after everyone by myself and I SHOULDN'T HAVE TO. Yesterday I gave in and washed all the dishes and it was exactly like living in the dorms all over again. I. Am. So. Appalled.

4. I just need a window. Period. I hate sitting in that dark corner. Jana was nice enough to give me her lamp, but if you know me, you know how much I depend on sunlight.

Pros:

1. Leaving was like setting the reset button. If I hadn't left, I know for sure that I'd still be stuck with all of the administrative responsibilities that I was in charge of before and that shouldn't be part of my marketing job. There's nothing like having to fix the phones when you're supposed to be sending 1000 event invitations out to clients 3 days ago.

2. I love my new office mates. Joe cusses like a sailor and drinks Grey Goose at his desk on Fridays. Pam is equally hilarious, but without the cussing and she just doesn't come to work at all on Fridays. They both talk to their emails out loud. On our second day they told me they intentionally tried to get me in that office because I "have manners" and then they tried to convert me to Judaism.

3. God I'm glad my raise finally kicked in.

4. I do like my work more. It's only the first week, so I know that more frustrating projects will come and things will happen that I won't like. But for right now, I'm liking things. I answer to a new VP of Marketing who is in the New York office and I like his temperament and style. Overall, I get the impression that Marketing is being taken much more seriously and that I won't have to fight to get the materials and the support that I need to get my job done.

So the overall verdict is that it's a draw. I'm doing ok.

Also, I lost almost 20 pounds since I left for my vacation. I didn't even do anything. The jeans that Kristin and I spent like, four days shopping for are now too big for me. What the hell? I'm not complaining, I'm just saying, what the hell?

No comments:

Post a Comment