Saturday, September 13, 2008

Roxie : Motivation :: The Pope : A Funny Hat

Clearly something freaky is going on--I've been saying that I'm going to take the GRE since probably half way through my fifth year at Centenary. I went to lunch with my Coworker Jana the other day and found out that she too is studying for the GRE and it's like something in my brain snapped. Apparently, all it took was having some one else to study with, to get me out of the apartment and whine with (and not to). I'm so motivited, FINALLY.

Jana and I went and studied after work on campus at George Washington and we studied almost 3.5 hours before I noticed. This was two days in row. Two things have come out of this:

1. I am SO relieved to find myself inspired and motivated. I've been stressing about the GRE, as a terrible chore. Instead, I find myself almost freakishly excited to see how well I can make myself do.

2. Spending the evenings back in that environment, around students, thinking in a totally different way (and for totally different reasons) than I have been at work for the past year, I am SO ready to be in school in again. I miss classes and professors and books and wearing a sweatshirt without feeling guilty.

All that being said, I had the day today all by myself (Tim's playing in a softball tournament) so I planned to spend it at the library, studying. I originally planned to go to the Library of Congress, but I felt like it might be a little stuffy so I went to the MLK library which is closer anyway. But I never really made it (not right away, anyway) because there was a GIANT street festival for all the local restaurants, galleries, artists, performers, museums, radio stations, colleges, newspapers... you name it. I had tenderloin, white cheddar mashed potatoes, and pork tacos for $4. I saw a troup of Bhangra dancers that reminded me of my mom's belly dancing troup.

It was just an awesome way to spend three hours. I'm bummed that Tim missed it, but I was fully entertained and well fed for pennies on the dollar.

Afterwards, I walked back past the library (at which point it was entirely too late to study, since they close at 5:30), but they were having a sale in their book store, which is usually closed on weekends. I bought 5 books and a t-shirt for $12 before heading home to watch Jeopardy and relax. An excellent end to the afternoon indeed.

I think this may have been the most awesome Saturday I've had since I've been here, which is good since yesterday was a pretty terrible day at work. Ahhhhh.... thank the Lord for Saturdays, motivation, art fairs, book sales and beef tenderloin.

1 comment:

  1. Ha ha. This was you on our phone conversation on the way to said library...

    "Hey what's up I'm walking to the library to study for the GRE.....wait, hold on, there's music. what is this? It's some kind of art festival! Ha ha wow! What? Oh, I'm going to the libra-...wait, are those belly dancers?? I'm gonna have to call you back....*click*"

    ha ha

    ReplyDelete