Wednesday, August 06, 2008

Good Evening, Wrangler II

Fayetteville, AR: November 4-November 17.
Boulder, Colorado: November 17-December 5.
Dallas/Shreveport/New Orleans: December 5-December 16.
Crawford, Colorado: December 16-January 3.

These are the tour dates for the official "Roxie's Leave of Absence Tour '08." Get your all-access pass TODAY!

How is this possible? you ask. How is this possible for someone with a full time job and no money?

Well, it's possible largely because my boss is a benevolent and understanding soul who appreciates that as long as I am under his employ, I am too busy to plan for my future, but that planning for my future is key to me not going a little Courtney Love everywhere and throwing my computer monitor through my office window. It's true that I'm broke, but in reality, this trip is an investment in a number of ways:

First, the combined tickets were actually CHEAPER than buying individual tickets for Turkey Day, the Longnutzer Nuptials, and Christmas seperately--and in order to attend all or even just one of those things, I would have had to take unpaid vacation anyway.

Second, if I don't apply for Graduate school this year, I will honestly hate myself and I will become a raving, spitting beast in stuffy office clothes.

Third, when I return, I'm taking a new position with the company which I am very excited about. No word on my official title yet, but suffice to say that it's a higher position and a more creative one, which is NEVER a bad thing.

As I told many people back a few months ago, I had intended to quit work as soon as my lease was up, put my things in storage, sleep on various people's couches cleaning out their fridges and shoveling their sidewalks for pocket money until I figured out what I want to do with myself (i.e. not being and Administrative Assistant and sitting on $40K worth of degrees). No sooner had I informed (most of) the world of this decision, than my boss offered me a new position. He looked sort of disbelieving but mostly skeptical when I told him my intended plans but--and this is the incredible part--he negotiated with me to make both of our desires possible.

So Tim and I are signing the lease. We're staying here at least until next August.

At which point I will hopefully have a choice between keeping my marketing job or going to Harvard and getting my PhD in English. Ok--maybe not Harvard, but hopefully somewhere will want me.

If anyone has any tips about taking the GRE or applying for Grad School (or what schools I should apply to somewhere in the Colorado/Louisiana/Washington State neighborhood) feel free to call me and let me know. You know where you'll be able to reach me in November and December.

6 comments:

  1. Will this be for take out or to-go?

    GRE? Pretend you are a math major and stress out about that section of the test.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous12:07 PM

    Don't drive five hours and then take it with a migraine. Though I did very well, considering....

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm super pumped the wedding made it into the travel plans! Yay for time off from work! On the GRE: focus on the math. You'll rock the rest.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Anonymous10:30 PM

    I focused on the math and did very well... I got like 9 out of every seven questions right (fractions are my strength).

    ReplyDelete
  5. For my GRE I spent about 12 hours studying the math section, then I found out my program doesn't count that part, only the verbal and writing, which was a huge relief. Find out what your schools need BEFORE you waste time on hypotenuses.
    Speaking of, did you pick a field yet?

    Jealous of your travel plans. I could use a leave of absence tour.

    ReplyDelete
  6. The puppies told me they are excited that Leave of Absence Tour 08 includes a visit with them. The Peepers said "PEEP!!!" which I'm pretty sure means "God, we hate you all. You people are freakish and disgusting compared to the perfection of the Peepers. Now give us some more millet."

    ReplyDelete